Melbourne, Australia: Australian champions, members and motor sport industry figures have celebrated the 2016 motor racing season at the CAMS Motor Sport Awards ‘Champions and Rivals Gala’, held at Crown Casino in Melbourne.
With the support of major sponsor Burson Auto Parts, CAMS formally recognised national champions alongside those who have made long-standing contributions to Australian motor sport.
CAMS Life Memberships were the first to be awarded on the night, with Colin Trinder, Alan Vaughan, Denise Strawbridge and John Bowe all receiving life membership honours for their contributions to motor sport spanning multiple decades.
Bill Buckle OAM received the Phil Irving Award for 2016, recognising his engineering excellence across an outstanding 60 year career.
After being recognised on the Australia Day honours list, Mark Webber AO was awarded the Peter Brock Medal in recognition of his outstanding international motor sport career. Webber recently announced his retirement from full-time professional competition, with career highlights including being crowned 2015 FIA World Endurance Champion and nine FIA Formula One World Championship race victories.
As well as Webber’s recognition on the international stage, Australia’s own Dr Brent May was recognised by the FIA as the Best Doctor of the Season.
Garrett ‘Garry’ Coleman OAM accepted a Presidential Citation for being a National Coordinator and Senior Chaplain at motor sport events.
Locally, Dr Michael Henderson received the Award of Merit, while Robert Thiry was awarded the 2015 Australian Official of the Year.
Joey Mawson was awarded the CAMS Young Driver of the Year for the second consecutive time, after claiming the 2016 German Formula 4 Championship.
Motor sport media identities were also honoured, with photographer Glenis Lindley and Neil Crompton receiving Media Service Awards.
Rebecca Thompson took out the Photograph of the Year, with John Morris claiming Photographer of the Year honours and Paul Gover awarded Journalist of the Year.
National series and class champions were also formally presented with their respective championship and series trophies across all motor sport disciplines, including off road, circuit, rally and karting.
- Life Membership: Colin Trinder
- Life Membership: Alan Vaughan
- Life Membership: Denise Strawbridge
- Life Membership: John Bowe
- Phil Irving Award: Bill Buckle OAM
- Australian Official of the Year: Robert Thiry
- Award of Merit: Dr Michael Henderson
- Presidential Citation: Garrett Coleman OAM
- CAMS Young Driver of The Year: Joey Mawson
- Peter Brock Medallist: Mark Webber AO FIA Awards
- FIA Best Doctor of the Season: Dr Brent May
- Media Service Award Winner: Glenis Lindley
- Media Service Award Winner: Neil Crompton
- Motor Sport Photograph of the Year: Rebecca Thompson
- Motor Sport Photographer of the Year: John Morris
- Motor Sport Journalist of the Year: Paul Gover
2016 NATIONAL SERIES AND NATIONAL CLASS CHAMPIONS
KARTING AUSTRALIA AWARD
- KA1: Scott Sorenson
- AORC Pro Buggy Class Champion: Jack Rhodes & David Pullino
- AORC Extreme 4WD Class Champion: Kent Battle & Heath Lawson
- AORC Super 1650 Buggy Class Champion: Graham Tickner & Bodie Tickner
- AORC Extreme 2WD Class Champion: Steven Sanderon & Tahlia O’Cass
- AORC Performance 2WD Class Champion: Stuart Chapman & Ross Challacombe
- AORC Prolite Buggy Class Champion: Dale Martin & Adrian Rowe
- AORC Superlite Class A Champion: Tim Dewhurst & Tim Scott
- AORC Superlite Class B Champion: Jeff McNiven & Frank Waite
- Australian Side by Side Champion: Cody Crocker
- Australian V8 Ute Racing Series: David Sieders
- Supercars Dunlop Series: Garry Jacobson
- Australian 2WD Rally Champions: Adam Kaplan & Aleshia Penney
- Australian 2WD Classic Champion: Coral Taylor
CAMS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- CAMS Australian Endurance Champions: Nathan Morcom & Grant Denyer
- CAMS Australian GT Champion: Klark Quinn
- CAMS Australian Formula 4 Champion: William Brown
- CAMS Australian Off Road Champion: Jack Rhodes & David Pullino
- CAMS Australian Rally Champions: Molly Taylor & Bill Hayes
- CAMS Australian Rally Manufacturers’ Trophy: Subaru
- CAMS Australian Touring Car Champion: Shane van Gisbergen
Photos: George Hitchens